[bksvol-discuss] Re: Long Japanese O

  • From: Sheri Wells Jensen <swellsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:20:33 -0400

Hi, Tracy,

Hmmm: I've also seen it as oo in some of my beginning Japanese books and one of my early Japanese teachers always said it as 'ou'... . Both of these would probably mess up the speech pretty badly. Maybe that's alright; you don't necessarily expect voice synthesis to deal with Japanese words.

Best,

Sheri

At 12:02 PM 4/14/06, you wrote:
Hi, Tracy,

Sounds like you're working on something fun...
I've seen several options: the most straight forward one is o followed by a colon o:

Sheri W-J

At 11:32 AM 4/14/06, you wrote:
Does anyone know to properly represent the long Japanese O?  I suspect the
print is an O with a line either above it or after it.  The scan is
representing it as o~, which I don't think is right.  I'd like to replace
O~ with something, but don't know what it should be.
Thanks.
Tracy

-- "There are no bread crumbs here; we can't go back the way we came. Hold my hand; we'll skip along." Kim Barlow

-- "There are no bread crumbs here; we can't go back the way we came. Hold my hand; we'll skip along." Kim Barlow