[bksvol-discuss] K1000, FineReader, and misidentified characters

  • From: Stephen Baum <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:06:58 -0500

For those of you who use Kurzweil 1000:

One of the things on our list for the next release is a noise filter - i.e., a feature that you can enable or disable that will try to automatically remove misrecognitions, particularly prevalent with FineReader, that are of smudges, shadows in the spine of a book, or of pictures.

To do this, we need to get a diverse collection of images that cause this problem. Please send me images, or KES files containing images, of pages that contain this type of misrecognition.

Please note that if the sample is from a book scanned in two page mode, I'd be better off with a TIFF file containing the image of both pages, rather than with a KES file containing an image for each page. That is because part of the solution may involve a different approach for separating the two pages.

So, when you run across pages that pose these sorts of problems, please send me KES or TIFF files of them. Do not send these to the list. Instead, send them to steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks,

Stephen