[bksvol-discuss] Just Submitted Two Books

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith59@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 21:07:33 -0400

Hi all.

I just submitted two books - one from the wish list and one I scanned for me.

Winter Study by Nevada Barr (from the wish list and hot off the press!)

Anna Pigeon returns—in the
remarkable new novel from the
NewYork Times—bestselling writer.
"Walking in the woods with the tough-as-boots park ranger Anna Pigeon
is always a pleasure, even when these companionable hikes turn into
bone-rattling cliffhangers. Barr has real feeling for creatures who
live in the wild, especially women who can't be tamed."    —The New
York Times Book Review
It is January, and Park Ranger Anna Pigeon is sent to Isle Royale in
Lake Superior to learn about managing and understanding wolves, as her
home base of Rocky Mountain National Park might soon have its own pack
of the magnificent, much-maligned animals. She's lodging in the
island's bunkhouse with the famed wolf study team, along with two
scientists from Homeland Security, who are assessing the study with an
eye to opening the park in the winters—an act that would effectively
bring an end to the fifty-year project—so that the area can be manned
to secure the scrap of border with Canada.
Soon after Anna's arrival, the wolf packs under observation begin to
behave in peculiar ways. Giant wolf prints are found, and Anna spies
the form of a great wolf from a surveillance plane. The discovery of
wolf scat containing alien DNA leads the group to believe that perhaps
a wolf/dog hybrid has been introduced to the island. When a female
member of the team is savaged, Anna is convinced she is being stalked,
and what was once a beautiful, idyllic refuge becomes a place of
unnatural occurrences and danger beyond the
ordinary. Alone on an island without electricity or running water,
with temperatures hovering around zero both day and night, Anna fights
not only for the wolves but for her own survival as well.

Telling:  Confessions, Concessions and Other Flashes of Light, by Marion Winik

"A born iconoclast, an aspiring artiste, a feminist vegetarian
prodigal daughter, from early youth I considered myself destined to
lead a startling life far outside the bounds of convention. I would be
famous, dangerous, brilliant and relentlessly cool: a sort of cross
between Emma Goldman.Jack Kerouac, and Georgia O'Keeffe.... So where
did this station wagon come from?" - from ^Telling
Combining the insight of Anna Quindlen and the comic storytelling of
Garrison Keillor with her own singularly outrageous humor, Marion
Winik has captivated thousands of listeners on NPR's All Things
Considered. Now, in Telling, she takes us on a journey both personal
and universal, a tour of the minefield of chance and circumstance that
make up a life. Along the way, she offers razor-sharp takes on
everything from adolescence in suburban New Jersey ("Yes, I wanted to
be a wild teenage rebel, but I wanted to do it with my parents'
blessing") to hellish houseguests and bad-news boyfriends; from the
joys of breastfeeding in public to the sometimes-salvation of
motherhood.
Candid, passionate, and breathtakingly funny, Marion Winik maintains
an unshaken belief that following one's heart is more important than
following the rules - and a conviction that the secrets we try to hide
often contain the deepest truths.

Enjoy!

Donna