[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is This A Legal Synopsis?

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 03:03:07 -0700 (PDT)

It is true that we were told that recently. But there
are quite a few books I've validated or in my early
years here submitted where I did, with attributes and
quotation marks, quote from Publisher's Weekly and/or
Library Journal, which I found in my library's
catalog.

I haven't done it since Gerald and/or Jake  said we're
not to, but I did read the copyright law and pasted
part of it here on the list.

I had originally thought that the Fair Use provision
meant that a certain limited number of lines could be
quoted, but I found that is not the criterion. It's
vaguer than that. It has to do with the purpose, as
well as the amount that is copied. In my personal and
unofficial opinion, quoting just a few lines in a
synopsis for nonprofit purposes would be o.k. under
the Fair use provision--but I know some others will
disagree with me.

The section is too long to post here but the URL is
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Cindy