[bksvol-discuss] Re: Innovative computer 'eyes' help blind read: The iCAREReader

  • From: Jill O'Connell <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:32:19 -0800

This is just my opinion, of course, but I believe sighted people think pictures are more important to the blind than they actually are. The main problem is that we can never see the picture as a whole with one glance, and seeing it (feeling it)) in sections just doesn't contribute much to the overall pleasure of a picture. It's like the story of the blind men and the elephant. This is also why graphs and charts are such a challenge and we only accept that challenge when it is necessary for us to learn something, not for the pleasure of the thing. As I say, this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will feel free to disagree. Jill