[bksvol-discuss] Image Description Tip #3 - More on "Invisible Writing"

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:10:21 -0800

Volunteers,

The other day I mentioned to Bookshare image describers how anything inside a
graphic like a .jpg is invisible to a text-to-voice screen reader. What follows
from that is a simple tip about describing images: Transcribe the words visible
in the image into the Image Description text box in the Poet tool.

Sometimes the text is extensive. Transcribe all of it.

Here is the tricky part.

Sometimes there is more to be described after transcribing the text but you
don't feel that you are the best person to write on that subject. Simple.
Transcribe the text. Then insert a note to the editor. Using square brackets
insert this at the start of your description:

[Note to editor: This image requires further description. All text has been
transcribed.]

Other image describers are free to complete your description before being
assigned to do so by an editor. Your note will be the flag for subject matter
experts to tag team with you on images you have marked.

By the way, you will discover that most maps have text that needs to be
transcribed. You will often find these tagged as "Unspecified." That is because
we are waiting for tactile output technology to mature. As we wait we are not
attempting to describe the map itself. We only transcribe the text in the image.

Scott Rains
Bookshare Fellow