[bksvol-discuss] Re: ISBN Problem

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:35:27 -0500

Dear Gary,

The x applies to a library edition. If you are lucky enough to be able to tell
by the feel if your book is a library book or retired library book by a library
address that may have scanned in the preliminary pages or by the cellophane
over the dust jacket or a pocket  glued inside or remnants of it, go with the
x. Otherwise, go with the ISBN that ends with a number. I believe the inside
text is the same for both so either ISBN won't hiccup the system.

Evan speculates that when the check sum of the ISBN digits add up to a two
digit number, the x is used for the last digit. He also suggests that you check
on the back cover in case one ISBN is printed near the bottom edge in which
case you could go with that one. Sometimes an ISBN is on the dust jacket flaps
as well.

I'll be interested to  hear if anyone else has more info on this topic. I've
proofed books with two ISBNs which aren't followed by paperback, hardcover or
library edition in parenthesis. I've used the methods described above as well
as copying the numbers into the Amazon search as Susan suggests to see which
product description matches my book, to decide which number to use.

As a proofer, when I check in a book, the Bookshare tools fill in an ISBN,
especially a 13 digit ISBN to replace the 10 digit ISBN in my book. Then, the
last digit is different anyway and I defer to the 13 digit number provided.

I love being in the company of so many people who care enough to make sure all
the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed! We are a class act!

Always with love,

Lissi