[bksvol-discuss] Re: I will scan

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 12:20:02 -0500

It wouldn't necessarily be for nothing. It all depends on when the publisher
gives the book to Bookshare. It could be next week, or it could be next year.
There's no way of knowing. In the meantime, people can read the book instead of
having to wait an unknown period of time for it to get into the collection.
It's all up to the volunteers who scan and proofread it whether they want to
take the chance on their work being preempted before they get it done, or how
they feel about knowing that their book will certainly be replaced if their
copy does make it into the collection.

Lissi and I did a book recently, A McKettrick Christmas by Linda Lael Miller,
published by Harlequin, which is definitely donating books to Bookshare. But we
decided to put the book up anyway, because we wanted people to be able to read
the book before Christmas, and we had no way of knowing when the PQ addition
would get into the collection. We know it will be replaced at some point, but
it was added on December 8, and our copy is still up there for anyone to read
who wants. We don't feel that we've wasted our time.

I've got another book now being proofread, which is the third book in a
trilogy. The first two we did have been replaced by PQ additions, but we
decided to do this book for the same reason Lissi and I did A McKettrick
Christmas, because people will get a chance to read the book sooner instead of
having to wait who knows how long to get it. It's a long book, and the
proofreader knows that it could be put up by the publisher before he can finish
it, but he decided to go ahead with it. If readers get a chance to read the
book sooner, then we don't feel our work is in vain, even though we both know
for certain that it will be replaced at some unknown point. Besides, we both
got to read the book sooner ourselves, which we wanted to do anyhow.

Evan