[bksvol-discuss] Humanware annouuncement

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 00:03:30 -0400

Hi all,

Just a point of clarification on this, and we probably should take this to Bookshare Discuss, but here's my take on this and why it is unique.

As many of you know, the IPhone is taking the community of the blind by storm. (No, I don't want to discuss if we have or haven't got a community). this is a mainline device which can be purchased for $200.00. the cheaper Braille displays such as the Nuveau Soles cost less than $1,000.00 This, in combination with an ap that costs less than $30.00 makes communication for individuals who are deaf-blind something which is not only possible and affordable, but is portable, extremely portable and can be used by anyone who is sighted because the IPhone is becoming ubiquitous. This is what is called harnessing existing technology to accomplish a task which in the past has only been done by using proprietary devices costing thousands of dollars; something out of reach for many.

Sure there are programs and devices that do this just as well, but they are proprietary and they don't use mainline technology.

Here's incentive for you all. I see an IPhone in my future, probably this fall. I most probably will invest in this communication program if it is less than $30.00. Shoot, I may never use it, but the fact that I can get the thing at a reasonable price makes me able to communicate better. I may never meet someone who is deaf-blind, but I may. Living in Rochester increases the chances of doing so by a goodly percentage. Meeting folks who are deaf is much more likely. Now I have a rudimentary knowledge of sign, but it ain't good, and I have trouble reading other people's sign. Having this communication program reduces that barrier to nil.

 this is the last I'm gonna say on this here.  We're off-topic.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring