[bksvol-discuss] Re: Holiday themed books?

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:29:17 -0800 (PST)

Not only aren't there any that I can find on
bookshare, but I only found 3 adult books about
Chanukah on Amazon, at least on the first several
pages. One is philosophical ("Chanukah: Eight Nights
of Light, Eight Gifts for the Soul" by Shimon
Apisdorf, 1997); one is historical ("Chanukah: Its
History, Observances, and Significance"  by Hersh
Goldwurm, Meir Zlotowitz, and Nossom Scherman, 1981);
and one fiction that I, and probably anyone would
enjoy reading, because they're not really religious:
"Chanukah Guilt" by Ilene Schneider is a murder
mystery.

And I found a historical novel, "Maccabee" by David C.
Carson, published in Jan. 2007 that received excellent
reader reviews on Amazon. Chanukah honors the heroic
fighting of the Maccabees and the miracle of the oil
in the temple lasting 8 days when there was only
enough, supposedly to last one.

Chanukah, or Hanukkah (there's a book that sounds cute
about the different ways to spell the word) isn't a
religious or spiritual holiday in the same way that
Christmas is. Most of the books available seem to be
ways to explain the holiday to children or to how ow
they can have fun on it. It's hard to compete with
Christmas. smile

G. Cindy