[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help with em-dashes.

  • From: "john.falter" <john.falter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 12:34:24 -0400

Hello Shirley:

Here is the em-dashe character.

Copy it from this email to your clipboard,
Paste it into your proofreading notes for future searches.
Paste it into the MsWord search field.
You can save effort by first adding a space before the — character in the search field.
After that search, repeat the search with space after the — character.
This will skip all — that are already correct.
Sometimes a document will have dozens or even hundreds of — characters.
You might want to use the replace function.
enter "space —" in the search field and "—" in the replace and select replace all.
repeat with "— space" and replace with "—".
Remember to ignore the quotes.

On 9/19/2016 3:09 AM, Sk22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I’m supposed to make sure there are no spaces either before or after the em-dashes in a book. However, I can’t seem to find the em-dash character. I tried searching for ^8212 which JAWS told me was the value of the em-dash but couldn’t find it even though there are lots of them. The strange thing is that when I tried that same search in another book it worked very well. This book is almost ready to upload so I hope I can solve this problem. Thanks for any help out there.

Shirley

---