[bksvol-discuss] Re: Handling the M Dash and footnote numbers in the text

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 16:37:24 -0800 (PST)

a single short dash is a hyphen and should be left alone. Two short dashes,
e.g. -- equals an em dash, which acts as a pause between words or phrases and
many of us convert the em dash to 2 short dashes, but if I remember what I just
read from Mayrie (darn this short-term memory loss) book share now converts the
em dash to 2 short dashes so we no longer have to.

The manual, which I checked again fairly recently, gives a number of options
for what to do with footnote numbers. Some authors use single and double
asterisks instead of footnote numbers, which complicates matters. Especially if
one puts three spaced asterisks to indicate missing lines before the footnote
section.
 If I recall correctly, the options for footnote numbers is to put them in
brackets(or parentheses? after the period or to put them on the line *above*
the  line of text, or put them in superscript. As a proofreader, I cannot
always tell if they're on the line above the text; it depends on the font used
(some scanners do put them in a smaller font on the line above. I often start
to leave them alone if they are clearly on the line above but then start to put
them in superscript; hopefully having them both ways doesn't make a difference
to the reader-member. As a sighted person they look better and it's less
confusing when they are in superscript.
Cindy