[bksvol-discuss] Fwd: Just submitted

  • From: Marilyn Beasley <mbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:51:51 -0400

For those of you looking for this on Step 1 between 1:24 AM EDT
and 9:40 AM EDT, I had it, I really wanted to validate it, it's really
interesting and a great scan, but I just don't have time right now.

So I just released it back to Step 1.

Have fun,
Marilyn

Begin forwarded message:

From: Deborah Murray <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: July 13, 2008 1:24:47 AM EDT
To: BookShare <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Just submitted

Hi all,

I've just submitted for validation
"Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief"
by Lewis Wolpert.

It's cleaned up; headers stripped and page numbers and chapter titles
protected.
Approx. 250 pages.

[From the book jacket]
Why do 70 percent of Americans believe in angels, while others are convinced that they've been abducted by aliens? Why does every society around the world have a religious tradition of some sort? What makes people believe in
improbable things when all the evidence points to the contrary?
In Through the Looking Glass, the White Queen tells Alice that to believe in a wildly farfetched fact, she simply needs to "draw a long breath and shut [her] eyes." Alice finds this advice ridiculous. But don't almost all of us, at some time or another, engage in magical thinking? Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill canceled all appointments on Friday the 13th. Niels Bohr
tacked a horseshoe over his desk-just to add some luck to his quantum
universe.
In Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast, evolutionary biologist Lewis
Wolpert delves into the important and timely debate over the nature of
belief, looking at belief's psychological basis to discover just what
evolutionary purpose it could serve.
Are there advantages to imaginary friends and fantasy worlds, superstitions and religions? Are we born with an evolutionary defense mechanism to believe in things that make us feel better about the world? Wolpert leads the reader through all that science can tell us about the beliefs of which we are so instinctually sure. He deftly explores these questions and the different types of belief-those of children, of animals, of the religious, and of
those suffering from psychiatric disorders-and he asks whether it is
possible to live without belief, or whether it is a necessary component of a
functioning society.

Enjoy!
Deborah