[bksvol-discuss] Fund raising

  • From: <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:15:16 -0700

I agree with the folks that suggested just sending in a donation: that
way, it's tax deductible (since Benetech is a qualified charity).  And,
every donation does help Bookshare.org.  That being said, Benetech's
staff tend to focus our personal limited fund raising efforts on larger
donations.  Right now, we only have me and Peggy Gibbs doing fund
raising work for all of Benetech's projects.  So, we write proposals to
foundations for grants in the $25,000 to $250,000 zone for specific
project extensions.  We also meet with high net worth individuals to
make donations in the $5,000 and up range: this is an area that we're
getting ready to scale up since we've done little of this in the past.

Having good service on donations is important to us, just as having good
service for Bookshare.org is important.  When we get to high volume
transactions, we try to automate.  We've built a "Donate Now"
functionality for Bookshare.org, but haven't promoted it enough. It
provides a list of the kinds of things we are seeking funding for.
Check out the page:
http://www.bookshare.org/web/DonateNow.html

Thanks for your suggestions and support!

Jim Fruchterman
President and CEO
Benetech

480 California Avenue, Suite 201