[bksvol-discuss] Re: Freelists etiquite

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 07:14:27 -0400

Hi all,

I deliberately left this message as it came to me, and I have reproduced it here.

Please note, there are four messages below my own here, making this message train contain five messages. In addition to the four actual messages, you have headers from all four messages, plus four copies of the tagline of the list. This bloats the message into a huge unwieldy monstrosity that is no good to anyone. the proper way to deal with a message of this type, is only to include the first requoted message, leaving the other old stuff out.

It only takes one second to quote what is necessary, then to use the ctrl-shift-end command to select to the end of the quoted material and hit the delete key. The tagline for the list will be automatically added to your message, not five times but just once, as it should be. Taking the ten seconds needed to trim quoted material helps in so many ways! It trims the archives to a reasonable size for accurate searching, it avoids huge byte counts for those of us who either have cell phones or pay for our access by the byte, and it is simply courteous.

One thing I've found that works amazingly well is that if you want to reply to an individual, say you want to agree with him/her, use the copy to all command and then simply go to the CC field, do a ctrl-a and hit the delete key. This will remove all your CC's and you can send your "me too" message to the original poster without clogging up the list with short one-line messages.

Ann P.

 From: Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>