[bksvol-discuss] Re: For Sue - how to use find and replace to get rid of double dashes around page numbers

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:29:51 -0800

We do have the wiki page with the "books being scanned" and wish lists and the scanning/proofing manual. Maybe an area could be set up there for word and screenreader macros.

Misha

Judy s. wrote:
I've created quite a few macros myself lately for proofreading. I've been thinking off and on for a while about what it would take to create a library of macros that volunteers could download to help with proofing. It really does make some of these tasks fly! Not sure how much work it would involve, though. smile.

Judy s.

Denise Thompson wrote:
Judy
Ya, I just recorded a macro to perform all of the basic steps I need when proofing one of my scans in Open Book. I always end up with paragraphs at the end of each line a double pargraphs between each paragraph. So I ran through a macro and put in the find and replace steps to get rid of the paragraphs at the end of each line and the extra blank lines between paragraphs. Then I included finding page breaks and replaced them with a blank line before and after the page break. Then I did the find and replace to find m dashes and replace them with double dashes. I scanned a few pages of a new book and ran the macro. I was shocked. It actually worked. I performed all of those tasks in about a second. I don't know why I didn't think of doing that before. Seeing your message about using expressions reminded me of the macro thing. So thanks a lot. I've just boiled several tasks into one click of a button so to speak. I wish there was an easy way to convey the info to folks. If you or your husband can think of a way to do that it would be great for people.
Denise

At 02:16 PM 1/1/2010, you wrote:
Hi Denise, thanks for the thought. smile. I could have made a macro to put the steps into a one keystroke solution. However, I was writing these solutions up for volunteers who may have different versions of Word than mine and may or may not know how to take a macro I've created and then install it on their Word. So I decided that it's a bit safer to write up the instructions. smile.

My husband and I are actually both pretty geeky, grin. He's the real geeks geek, however, as he used to design computer chips for a living as well as owned his own software development company before moving on to work in statistics and theoretical mathematics. yeah, we're both boring techies. grin.

Judy s.

Denise Thompson wrote:
Judy why can't you create a macro to do the steps you outline. Sounds like your husband is a computer buff, maybe he can design the macro. I've done some, but I'm not an expert by a long shot.
Denise

At 12:43 PM 1/1/2010, you wrote:
Hi Soronel,

Unfortunately, Word isn't sophisticated enough. It only contains a subset of the necessary regular expression capability that would be needed to make one singular regular expression to do this. Which is one of many reasons why I hate Word. grin.

Judy s.

Soronel Haetir wrote:
With a little work it should be possible to make a single regular
expression that will perform this operation regardless of whether
there are spaces or not and then you wouldn't need the four step
version.  Maybe Word isn't sophisticated enough, dunno.
On 1/1/10, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sue!  Yay!  That's great news! grin. That makes my day. smile.

Happy New Year to you and everyone else

Judy s.

siss52 wrote:
Hi Judy!

Thanks, it really worked!!!!!

Happy New Year to you and to everyone else as well.

Sue S., who is a very happy camper!!