[bksvol-discuss] For Bob About Kurzweil and Zip Files

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:17:56 -0500

Bob, I have a tip for you. Unzipping books with Kurzweil makes a lot of
extra work for you. There is a faster way if you're interested. If not,
please just delete this email. (smile)

Try Unzipping your downloaded books using a free program called 7-Zip before
reading them in Kurzweil. Say you have 20 books you want unzipped. Open
you're my Computer window and go to the folder with your books in it. Use
shift and your arrow keys to select them all and press your applications
key. Press 7 for 7-Zip and press enter on extract files. It'll prompt you
for the directory and let you type in the password one time. It'll use that
password on all 20 books and have them extracted before you take your next
sip of coffee. You can have the program extract your books to the books
folder in Kurzweil if you want, and you can set the program to skip
duplicate files so you don't have to answer a prompt with each book about
replacing the daisy.css files and such. This program is very easy to use and
is fast too. Since you used to do some programming, I'll let you know that
it can run on the command line as well. It's at http://www.7-zip.com  It's
open-source, so you won't pay a dime to give it a try.

Monica Willyard