[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fantasy?

  • From: "Martha Rafter" <mlhr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 14:38:50 -0400

Hi Mike,
Ann Petrous was looking for fantasy to proof. If she doesn't want this one, I'll take it.
Marty Rafter

-----Original Message----- From: misha
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2012 2:16 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Fantasy?

Recently, someone asked about fantasy books to proof.  I thought I saved
the email, but now it's gone.

Whoever it is, would you be interested in a book called Baker's Dozen:
13 Short Fantasy Novels?  The stories in the book are each about 40 to
60 pages long so the total is about 620 pages.  From the back cover of
the book, the stories are:

POUL ANDERSON, The Gate of the Flying Knives--A Thieves' World tale
wherein the hero ruefully decides that the rewards of chivalry are not
as desirable as they may seem.
SUZY McKEE CHARNAS, Unicorn Tapestry--The tale of a modern-day encounter
with a vampire that explores different perceptions of the same reality.
AVRAM DAVIDSON, Sleep Well of Nights--A prophetic dream leads to hidden
treasure and buried secrets in the eerie jungles of South America.
SIR H. RIDER HAGGARD, Black Heart and White Heart--An arrogant hunter in
Zulu territory learns too late that magic serves those who believe in
its power.
ROBERT E. HOWARD, Red Nails--Conan the Cimmerian meets his match in a
defiant, courageous female when the two are caught in a war to the death
between dueling clans.
JOHN JAKES, Storm in a Bottle--In a story of wizardry and betrayal, a
captive attempts to break the curse of drought that is strangling the
land of his overlords.
FRITZ LEIBER, Ill Met in Lankhmar    --The 1970 Nebula Award winner for
Best Novella. Two thieves in a fantastic and awful city invite a
dreadful end by stealing in others' territory.
MICHAEL MOORCOCK, The Lands Beyond the World--Elric, Prince of Melibone,
travels through the Crimson Gate to another world where he confronts the
powerful magic of an ancestor.
JANET MORRIS, A Man and His God--Another Thieves' World story about
Tempus of Sanctuary who fights a terrible destiny and triumphs over his
past transgressions to find himself and his own god.
ANDRE NORTON, Spider Silk--A blind woman journeys to a dangerous land to
obtain the secret of exquisite weaving and learns a greater secret no
seeker before her has lived to tell.
THOMAS BURNETT SWANN, Where Is the Bird of Fire?--A faun's heartbreaking
story of the enchanted land of the gods and of the brothers Romulus and
Remus before the building of Rome.
JACK VANCE, Guyal of Sfere--A story of coming-of-age in a far world, in
a far distant time, wherein Guyal of Sfere defies a great power in his
quest for love and knowledge.
ROGER ZELAZNY, Tower of Ice--In a fantastic frozen land a brave knight
seeks an evil wizard, saves a princess, and forces a cataclysmic battle
between good and evil.

If the you (whoever you are) want it, let me know and I'll put Hold for
on it (as soon as I know who to put hold for).

Misha