[bksvol-discuss] Re: British quotation marks

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:18:51 -0500

Hi Mayrie!

One of the books I proofread a while back had British quotations, (single quotes). In my ignorance, I thought that they were scanos, being unaware of the different systems of punctuation. This discussion makes me think I should have left the book as it was. I wouldn't want to do anything that would change an author's work. Does anything need to be done about it?

Debby

At 06:45 PM 5/12/2010, Mayrie ReNae wrote
HI Jill,

If your book was printed in Brittain, apostrophes replace our quotation
marks, so, if Kurzweil saw someone talking, and the quotation mark, in this
case an apostrophe, were preceded by a comma, you could have what you
describe if K1000 perceived that a space occurred before the comma.  If the
text was justified in the book, as I understand many are, this is possible.

Mayrie