[bksvol-discuss] Re: Books for Scanners!

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:36:03 -0700

Hi,

The first book for scanning arrived. Since it is short, I should be able to finish it over the weekend and have it in the proofing queue very soon.

Thanks,

Misha

On 3/6/2013 4:01 PM, Madeleine Linares wrote:

Hello all,

I’m attaching the word doc of the list of books to scan. Finally! I am very sorry this has taken so long.

To remind you: these are books that have been donated to our offices that we currently do not have the bandwidth to scan and proof ourselves. We are giving scanners the chance to choose books of interest and we’ll send them out. We ask that these books be made available for anyone to proofread, so please DO NOT put holds on them for anyone.

If you are interested in this program, please email me back with three books that you’re interested in and an address to which I can mail them. I’ll mail books one at a time to start, and we can evaluate this as the program continues. It will be first come, first serve in terms of which books you get.

For our record-keeping, if you could please email me when you receive the book and when you upload it, that would be very helpful. Additionally, I’d like you to include the word “volunteer” AFTER the title of the book. This way I can see when books are added to the approval queue. When you’ve finished scanning, the book is yours! Keep it, donate it, give it away, or do what you will.

Please note: you will find an asterisk under some of the books stating: “Chopped.” This means that we have already chopped the binding off of the book. The pages are loose and they are held together with a rubber band. Some people find it easier to scan the pages this way, but some also find it difficult to keep track of the loose pages. If someone is interested in proofreading a book that is not yet chopped but would prefer the spine removed, we’re happy to do that in-house.

Additionally, feel free to include any concerns or constrictions you might have when emailing the titles you’re interested in. For example, a few of the books have pictures that would need to be removed, although, since they are almost all on a page to themselves, it should not be difficult. Still, if this concerns you let me know!

As always, feel free to contact me with questions!

Thanks,

Madeleine Linares

Volunteer Coordinator

Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative