[bksvol-discuss] Books Just Ordered

  • From: "Lora" <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:17:45 -0600

I've just ordered two books and sent them off to Carrie.

The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales
 by Maria Tatar

Grimm's Grimmest   - by Wilhelm Grimm

Please note that Grimm's Grimmest is not for the faint of heart.  This book
tells these tales in their original form, not the form we're used to seeing
in Disney movies and picture books.  Sex, murder, and bloody revenge are all
common in these tales.  So if you validate this book, be aware that it is,
indeed, very grim.

As for the Hard Facts of the Grimm's Fairy Tales, this book addresses the
original tales, and how they were sanitized over time, first by the Grimm
brothers, and then by Disney and others.  It, too, has excerpts from Grimm
tales that touch upon disturbing topics.  A more scholarly work, some say it
reads like an interesting thesis paper.