[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: Why Can't I learn Like Everyone Else?

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 21:55:59 -0400

Hi everyone, a book submitted to the check out page. I have been attacking much longer books so not as many submitted at a time.

I have three more in this series to submit and we will have the complete series.

Anyway hope someone will check this book out and get it into the collection.

 ISBN:
 1-59084-730-X

 Title:
Why Can't I Learn Like Everyone Else?: Youth With Learning Disabilities (Youth with Special Needs)

 Author(s):
 Shirley Brinkerhoff

 Publisher:
 Mason Crest Publishers

 Copyright Date:
 2004

 Copyrighted By:
 Mason Crest Publishers

 Brief Synopsis:
Charlie Begay, thinks he is odd and stupid. he can't learn or read like the other students in his school, and he can't do it no matter how hard he can try. But when his father marries a women who might know his secret can Charlie live with what might happen.

 Long Synopsis:
When Charlie Begay starts first grade, he soon discovers that he simply cannot learn to read the way the other students do. Unable to understand why, he comes up with this explanation: "There's something wrong with my brain." Convinced that he is "dumb," Charlie goes about solving his problem in the only way he knows how-by "bartering" with his friend Jake: Charlie teaches Jake to skateboard, and in return, Jake reads their homework aloud and writes out Charlie's assignments for him. Their arrangement continues well into seventh grade. Then Charlie's father marries a woman who has a learning disability herself, and everything about Charlie's life begins to change. Millions of students today struggle with learning disabilities like dyslexia, dyscalculia, and dysgraphia. Yet many of these students have little or no idea why learning is so difficult and frustrating for them, that they have a learning disability, or that help is available. Instead, many students who struggle with learning decide they are unintelligent and give up on education. Up to 40 percent of young people with learning disabilities even decide to quit high school. Why Can't I Learn Like Everyone Else? Youth with Learning Disabilities examines the most common learning disabilities. It explains in a clear and understandable way how these conditions are diagnosed and what help is available to students who have them.

 Comments:
This book has been read through. All text is present as are all chapter titles, and most page numbers. Please insert the missing page numbers and label any text you think is a caption that I might have missed. Beyond that it should be a real easy proof. Contact me if you have any questions: juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

 Adult content:
 No

 Language:
 English US

 Book Quality:
 EXCELLENT

 Categories:
 Nonfiction, Teens, Disability-Related

Shelley L. Rhodes, VRT
and Ludden Black Labrador Guide Dog

The artist brings something into the world that didn't exist before, and he does it without destroying something else. -John Updike, writer (1932-2009)