[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted The Hornet's Nest

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 23:48:25 -0400

Book submitted.

Here is the Hornet's Nest.

By Jimmy Carter.

I haven't done anything to this book at all, so it needs the works, junk
removed, spell check and headers stripped.

Replacement for "fair" copy, I marked it good, but with the above work it
could be quickly marked excellent.

From the Book Jacket:

The first work of fiction by a
President of the United States?
a sweeping novel of the American South
and the War of Independence

In his ambitious and deeply rewarding novel, Jimmy Carter brings to life the
Revolutionary War as it was fought in the Deep South; it is a saga that will
change the way we think about the conflict. He reminds us that much of the
fight for independence took place in that region and that it was a struggle
of both great and small battles and of terrible brutality, with neighbor
turned against neighbor, the Indians' support sought by both sides, and no
quarter asked or given. The Hornefs Nest follows a cast of characters and
their loved ones on both sides of this violent conflict? including some who
are based on the author's ancestors.
At the heart of the story is Ethan Pratt, who in 1766 moves with his wife,
Epsey, from Philadelphia to North Carolina and then to Georgia in 1771, in
the company of Quakers. On their homesteads in Georgia, Ethan and his wife
form a friendship with neighbors Kindred Morris and hi ife, Mavis. Through
Kindred and b' ng Indian friend Newota, Ethan k >ut

the frontier and the Native American tribes who are being continually
pressed farther inland by settlers. As the eight-year war develops, Ethan
and Kindred find themselves in life-and-death combat with opposing forces.
With its moving love story, vivid action, and the suspense of a war fought
with increasing ferocity and stealth, The Hornets Nest is historical fiction
at its best, m the tradition of such major classics as The Last of the
Mohicans.

who served as thirty-ninth President of the United States, was born in
Plains, Georgia, in 1924. After leaving the White House, he and his wife,
Rosalynn, founded the Atlanta-based Carter Center, a nonprofit organization
that works to prevent and resolve conflicts, enhance freedom and democracy,
and improve health around the world. The author of numerous books, including
the bestselling memoir An Hour Before Daylight, Jimmy Carter was awarded the
2002 Nobel Peace Prize.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council