[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: Feral Tame Animals Gone Wild

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:24:52 -0500

Feral Tame Animals Gone Wild
By Laurence Pringle

under the .rtf section of the website an easy download upload validation.
read and removed all junk and fixed all scannos.

From the Book Jacket:
Feral! The very word has disturbing, even frightening connotations. The
reality of the situation, the rapid increase in our country's population of
feral animals-tame  animals gone wild-is equally disturbing and potentially
dangerous.
Laurence Pringle, who has been called "the acknowledged master at getting
across complicated scientific concepts and the politics of environmental
issues to older children" by Environmental Action, here examines the many
complex factors involved in this tragic situation. He presents the history
of America's most common feral animals (birds, pigs, dogs, cats, burros and
horses) and the impact they have on people, livestock, food crops, native
wildlife and the ecology, and he explores the growing, highly emotional
controversy surrounding them involving environmental, humane, political and
economic issues.

Laurence Pringle is one of the most widely noted authors of books for young
people on biological and environmental subjects. Among his critically
acclaimed works-over forty to date-are the "Science for Survival" series:
Water; Lives at Stake; Nuclear Power; Our Hungry Earth; Energy; Recycling
Resources; Pests and People; Ecology; One Earth, Many Peo pie; and The Only
Earth We Have.
Many of Mr. Pringle's books have been chosen as ALA Notable Books, as
"Outstanding Science Trade Books for Children" by the National Science
Teachers Association-Children's Book Council Joint Committee, as "Children's
Books of the Year" by the Library of Congress and as Junior Literary Guild
selections. In 1978, Mr. Pringle received the National Wildlife Federation's
Special Conservation Award, and that same year the U.S. National Section of
the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY) included Our Hungry
Earth in its International Book Exhibition.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com