[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book Submitted: Thunder Cakes

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:42:56 -0600

Hi Cindy,
When describing illustrations, try to describe the salient points of the
picture. Why is that particular picture associated with that particular
text? Or, what makes that picture striking, funny, or special? How does it
add to the story? If your descriptions describe those aspects of the picture
it will be great. Also, if the book has main characters you might want to
describe them in more detail in the first pictures where they appear. For
example, if you were describing a Garfield comic you might describe Garfield
as a fat orange cat in your first description, but in future descriptions
you wouldn't need to restate those details because the reader will know them
from the first descriptions.

I think it's really great when sighted volunteers do this picture
describing. One of my first validations as a Bookshare volunteer was a book
of Chel Silverstein poems with wonderful humorous picture descriptions. Even
though I can't visualize things I've always enjoyed having the visual
aspects of the world described for me, including pictures and cartoons, as
well as comic books. Many of the blind people I know enjoy having someone
read and explain the Funnies and other cartoons, and with even minimal
description it is usually easy to grasp and appreciate the point of the
cartoon.
Kellie