[bksvol-discuss] Book Submitted: My Name Is Not Slow

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:54:25 -0500

Hi guys,

A short well relatively book, that should be a easy validation.  Part of the
Youth With Special Needs Series.

My Name Is Not Slow: youth With SMental Retardation (Youth with Special
Needs)
By Autumn Libal

From the Book Jacket:
When Mr. Brown peers through the glass window at his new daughter, she looks
impossibly frail in the incubator. The doctors said shehas Down syndrome;
she will have mental retardation. But what will that mean for Mr. Brown's
daughter? What will she be able to do? Will she ever have talents like his
other children? Will she feel joy from her accomplishments-or only pain from
her limitations?

Mental retardation is one of the most stigmatized disabilities in our
society. People living with mental retardation are often treated as if they
are simple, emotionless, child-like, or even less than human. And yet,
individuals living with mental retardation have hopes and dreams, likes and
dislikes, and talents and weaknesses just like anybody else.
This book will help you learn about mental retardation, the special needs of
individuals living with this form of disability, and the support systems
available to help people with mental retardation acquire independence and
success. As you read, you will meet Penelope Brown, one girl living with
Down syndrome. Follow her story as she struggles both with her medical
condition and with the ignorance of others. As you read, you will learn how
Penelope and her family experience hope, disappointment, love, loss, and
happiness as they learn what it means to live with mental retardation.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.