[bksvol-discuss] Re: Book Groups

  • From: Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:23:17 -0700 (PDT)

Could sometime post a list of the names of book clubs and the names  of the
books in each book club somewhere either in the Bookshare Website or in the
Chat Room so that we all know what is available?

  Barbara

Jim Baugh <jim.baugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hello Everyone,

Following our announcement that the Friends of Bookshare was establishing
book clubs or reading groups, there has been much interest and questions
asking for further clarification. It seems, therefore a definition and some
general guidelines posted to the lists might be useful.

Definition:

A book club, also referred to as a reading group, is a collection of readers
who
participate in the regular discussion of books. Traditionally, a book club
consists
of several members who meet in person each month to talk about a specific
work.

Guidelines for Friends of Bookshare Book Clubs:

To lead a Friends of Bookshare Book Club, all you need is a PC running
Windows 2000 or XP, an Internet connection, a microphone, and sound cards.
The conferencing software is provided free of charge by the Accessible
World..

As each new club is formed, we want to showcase its first meting on a
Tuesday evening in the Friends of Bookshare Community Room. Subsequent
meetings will then be held at times and frequency the leader or group deem
appropriate. The community room is available 24/7 so many day and time can
be scheduled.

Some leaders are initially choosing the first book to be discussed. Then,
by getting the news release circulated well in advance, participants will
have had a chance to read it prior to that first meeting and the discussion
can begin immediately.

Other leaders might choose to focus on an author of the genre during that
first meeting and suggest a couple of titles the group might want to
discuss. N electronic poll can be taken and the group's preference is known
immediately.

Since we are supporters of Bookshare, we want to select books that are in
the collection. If a chosen book is not already there, however, a group of
volunteers is standing ready to immediately get the book, scan, validate,
and submit it so it will be in the collection right away for the group to
download and read.

We are not dictating how the leader wishes to conduct the discussion or how
he/she markets it. We believe different leadership styles will make the
reading discussion experience interesting to everyone.

If additional clarification is needed, please let me know.

Also, if you would like to lead a reading group, please let me know.

Pat

Pat (Patricia) Price, Planning Committee Chair
Friends of Bookshare
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org
Community Room:
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e