[bksvol-discuss] Berlin - Pierre Frei

  • From: Jamie Yates <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 05:31:59 -0700 (PDT)

Last night I finally finished scanning Berlin by Pierre Frei. I forgot to check
adult for it though, as there are several sexually explicit scenes in it. It's
a 425 page book set in post WWII Germany with several scenes during WWII and
pre-WWII.

  This book took a long time to scan because it uses lots of accented
characters (like Fraulein with the double dots over the u) and OmniPage
generally questions every one of them. It also uses single quotes (this '
instead of this ") for dialogue so that is not a scanning error.

  So if you choose this book to validate would you please remember to check
adult content when you upload it? It was a pretty good book.

  Also for the copyright holder I pasted it in exactly from the copyright page,
but I don't know if Bookshare prefers the translation copyright holder instead.
If so, I put a note about that in the comments field.

  Here is the description from the publisher:

  From the Publisher
  Set in a devastated Berlin one month after the close of the Second World War,
Berlin has been acclaimed as "ambitious . . . filled with brilliantly drawn
characters, mesmerizingly readable and disturbingly convincing" by The Sunday
Telegraph (London). An electrifying thriller in the tradition of Joseph Kanon
and Alan Furst, Berlin is a page-turner and an intimate portrait of Germany
before, during, and after the war.
  Occupied Berlin, American sector, 1945: Ben, a German boy retrieving
cigarette butts to repackage and sell on the black market, discovers the body
of a beautiful young woman in a subway station. Blonde and blue-eyed, she has
been sexually assaulted and strangled with a chain. In the scramble to identify
the body, the victim is mistaken for an American and a local investigation
becomes a matter for the U.S. Military Police. Captain John Ashburner and
Inspector Klaus Dietrich realize quickly that to solve this apparently
motiveless murder they will have to work together. When the bodies of other
young women are discovered it becomes clear that this is no isolated act of
violence.
  Pierre Frei has searched the wreckage of Berlin and emerged with a gripping
whodunit in which the stories of the victims themselves provide a powerful
commentary. There is a powerful pulse buried deep in the rubble.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently reading: Dying to Get Published - Judy Fitzwater

Find great deals on books at Half.com.