[bksvol-discuss] August 08 Giveaways to submittors

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:22:58 -0400

Dear Booksharian Friends,

These books are for you to keep if you'll unofficially promise to scan them. Contact me with your wish list and address off list at

airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There's no charge for the book or postage.

They are open for anyone to validate, you can tell me off list if you'd like a hold placed on a certain book or books and I'll pass your request to the Submittor if a submittor has asked for you're the book you'd like to validate. It's first come, first served. Usually a few books get multiple requests and I'm forced to turn people down. Other books get no requests, sigh.

The fancy numbers aren't there to confuse you or to show off. I needed a way of not confusing the books from different lists. I think this is my fifth.

I'll be posting the leftovers from May separately to give them one last chance of being chosen.

On my next book finding expedition, I'll try and find more romances.

I know these are the dog days of summer. I have my nerve dangling more scanning work before you.

Really, thanks for helping these books find a home in Bookshare.

Always with love,

Lissi

Adults

Au81. Sexual Values Opposing Viewpoints by Charles B Cozic book editor, hardback, 285 pages. Each of 5 chapters offers reader friendly views on five questions. 1. Is Sex eroding moral values? 2. How should society regard gays? 3.Is Pornography Harmful? 4. What sexual values should children learn? 5. Is Sexual Behavior Changing in America? Each Chapter has from 6 to 8 articles by diverse groups like Planned Parenthood and individuals like Rush Limbaugh. My opinion is that the bibliographies of source material at the end of each chapter and the 10 page, small print, double column index can be skipped while keeping the content in tact at the volunteer's discretion.

Au82. Vlad the Undead, by Hanna Lutzen, mass market paperback, 189 pages, Lucia, a med student inherits documents which lead her to meet Vlad Dracula who is ambitious, brilliant, ruthless, Dracula who ruled in the fifteenth century. First she's repelled, then fascinated by his story and she wonders why society doesn't accept outsiders.

Au83. Ava's Men: The Private Life of Ava Gardner by Jane Ellen Wayne, hardback, 268 pages. A sharecropper's daughter she became one of Hollywood's last love goddesses. Her fame brought her joy and sorrow. Her southern drawl was so thick Louis B. Mayer couldn't understand her. She was given intensive diction lessons. She had her pick of handsome men, but her third husband, Frank Sinatra, was the love of her life. Etc. etc.

Au84. Warrior Marks: Female Genital Mutilation and the Sexual Blinding of Women by Alice Walker and Pratibha Parmar, hardcover, 372 pages. Describes the authors journey together making a film from the U. S. to England, to Senegal.

Au85. Death Al Dente: A Gourmet Detective Mystery by Peter King,

Hardcover, 249 pages. The detective is sent to find the best chef in Italy and

given a beautiful guide. He's being distracted in his delicious task by Buffalo,

and airplanes trying to run him down and by the discovery of the body of an

agricultural magnate floating in a swimming pool.

Au86. Sign of Chaos, the new Amber Novel by Roger Zelazny, hardback,

214 pages. Sequel to Blood of Amber, for SF fans. It is set in a world where\

technology doesn't work, but magic does. The princes and Princesses can

move magically between worlds.

Au87. The Divine Sarah: A life of Sarah Bernhardt by Arthur Gold and

Robert Fizdale, Large hardback, 330 pages plus optional afterward stuff. I

can see only odd page numbers, so the scanner or validator would need to put

in the even ones. The print is otherwise very clear with nice plain formatting

for scanning. This is a serious biography of the nineteenth century actress

loved in her homeland of France, and in England and the United States. Her

mother, a courtesan, planned the same career for Sarah, but one of her

mother's lovers gave her the chance to better herself, which she did. She was

ironwilled and tempestuous. For example, one of the illustrations shows her

at home playing dead in a coffin. She's covered in flowers and posed artfully.

She lived during the art nuveau period.

Au88. Secret Sanction by Brian Haig, hardback, 405 pages, thriller. A

Brilliant Army lawyer who hides his talent by wise cracking and being

cynical, is chosen to investigate scandal which has caused a world-wide

outcry. The Green berets swear they are innocent of massacring 35 people

who have been Shot execution style.

Au89. Blowing my Cover, My Life as a CIA Spy by Lindsay Moran 294

pages, Fascinating, often funny and rare account of a real CIA street agent's

work including her training at, "The Farm."

Au810. Senator for Sale: An Unauthorized Biography of Bob Doyle by

Stanley G. Hilton, Hardcover, 300 pages. Disturbing portrait of Doyle by a

Senatorial aide. He makes the case that Doyle curries favor and brokers with

Special interest groups for power, that he flip flops on issues and that he

Helped construct the two most expensive tax bills in American history. This

one that could either be considered outdated or historic.

'Au811. Showa The Age of Hirohito by Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler,

hardback, 175,The 124th emperor of Japan, called his rain, which was half

over, SHOWA which means peace, and in a bomb shelter had to sadly

instruct his men to admit defeat in the second world war, He lived to see his

nation rise from that devestating low point.

Au812. The Survivor by Tim Champlin, in the collection as good so a BSO

Could upgrade it Large print hardback, 300 pages, about 200 pages in regular

print. Marcel was a prisoner in the French prison in Guiana. His eighth

escape attempt succeeds but he's arrested again and imprisoned in California

where he escapes and hides in a deserted mission. French cutthroat

mercenaries are sent to capture him and destroy his manuscript which reveals

secrets about the French foreign legion. He and McGraw from Wells Fargo,

flee to New York with the book. Suspense novel.

Au813 In My Father's House the years before "The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom, hardcover, about 195 pages, Bookshare has a book by the same name but I think it's by a different author. Tells of her first 50 years. She was born in 1892 and lived in Holand over a watch shop. She was materially well off. Her family sheltered and hid foster children and hunted jews. She tells of the people who shaped her life, her wise father, her aunt who came to visit and stayed for 40 years and Jesus who was like a member of the family..

Au814 Playing with Cobras by Craig Thomas Hardcover 319 pages Hyde who has retired from the secret service and is coaxed to help with the case of an agent who saved his life being held by the Italian government for the brutal murder of his mistress.

Au815. Bittersweet Revenge by Kelly Adams, paperback large print, great condition, 279 pages Bookshare's copy is only rated good. Set in Quebec, a woman's scorn for a man thaws during the crystal winter festival

Au816. Gladys Aylward: Adventure of a Lifetime,Christian Heroes Then and Now series, by Janet and Geoff Benge, Paperback, about 200 pages, Gladys wanted to be a missionary in China but without formal education she failed her bible class at age 27. She didn't give up, but raised the money for the journey herself.

Au817. Safe Encounters: How women can say yes to pleasure and no to unsafe sex by Beverly Whipple PH.D., R.N. hardcover 219 pages, by the co-author of the G spot. Balanced approach to safe sex

Au818. The Age of Terror America and the World after 'September 11, edited by Strobe Talbott and Nayan Chanda, hardback, about 230 pages,

Au819. The Far Sands by Andrew Garve, a novel of suspense, hardcover,

180 pages, James falls in love with Carol who has a twin unhappily married

to an older man. Tragedy strikes and Jim begins to have doubts/!

Au820. McNally's Puzzle by Lawrence Sanders, hardback, 303 pages, like new. Hiram, the elderly, widower who owns a bird store thinks his life is in danger. Because his dead wife's picture is slashed, he finds a mass card taped inside his closet door, and his pet mynah bird is strangled. He turns to Archy and Binky for help. Set in Palm Beech Florida. Bookshare's copy is only rated good. Needs a better BSO.

Au821. McNally's Trial by Lawrence Sanders, hardcover, new, about 310 pages, is in the collection but only rated good. Archy and fuzzy headed helper Binky are told by the beautiful treasurer of a funeral home that there's too much turnover lately. He's attracted to her and gets the know the family who own the business, the dying wife, the doting husband and the smooth and silk salesman son, Oliver.

Au822. Beyond The Stars by David William Ross, hardcover, 430 pages, like new, Bookshare has Eye of the Hawk by this author. Western, tale of 3 men's search for treasure against the war torn territory of the declining Indian nations..

Au823. Russia's Heroes 1941-1945, An epic account of struggle and survival on the Eastern Front by Alber Axell, Hardcover, hardcover 260 pages. Has chapters like Rammers over Moscow and Cabbage Soup in Hell. Copyright 2001

Au824. Do I Stand Alone? Going to the mat against political pawns and media jackals, By Jessie Ventura, Hardcover, 262 pages, Ventura warns against expecting too little of our elected officials.

Au825. The Nixon Recession Caper A Novel by Ralph Maloney, hardcover, 192 pages, Four men in a snobbish Connecticut community with wives, mortages and children are feeling the pinch of a deep economic depression. Including unemployment checks and looming financial ruin. One man hatches a plan

For the four of them to rob the Vista Bank.

Au826. Hemingway's Notebook, the new November Man Novel, by Bill Granger, Hardcover, 247 pages, November and his lover Rita are lured to an island by a blackmailing mercinary who wants them to discover if a revolution is brewing in the mountains there. They meet an American agent who claims to have a notebook kept by Hemingway during the Bay of Pigs.

Au827. A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer, hardcover, 310 pages, Fleeing an impending marriage to a cruel man with three wives, sets out alone on the Musengezi River for Zimbabwe to find her father in this novel of adventure. There is information about the belief system of the Shona at the end.

Au828. Straight talk about prejudice by Rachael Kranz, Hardback, hardback,

about 100 pages, discusses prejudice against races, cultures,Women,

gays, and the elderly and handicapped.

Au829 Giovanni's Gift a Novel by Bradford Morrow, hardback, 324 pages, The print isn't fancy, but it's too light and small. I can't read the text or the flaps, so there's no description for this one. In an oval on the front cover is a woman's face. She has a rose in her hair, but I can't tell how she looks otherwise. Anybody daring?

Kids and Teens

Au830. Thomas Edison The Great American Inventor by Louise Egan, oversized old but clear paperback, 165 pages. For 12 and 13 year old readers, to inspire and entertain, from the Profiles in Science for Young People Series.

Au831 and Au832 Spiderman 1: The official Novelization of the film by Peter David Spiderman 2: the official novelization of the film by Peter David

Both are Mass Market Paperbacks about 310 pages each. If I have to explain these, you probably don't want them!

Au834. The allegiance: Becoming Beka Book 2, by Sarah Anne Sumpolec, oversized paperback, 240 pages. When she goes back to school, she has tough choices. In the drama club, Gretchen who has the lead part and is most popular, takes an interest in Beka and she enjoys the popularity at the price of joining in the smear campaign against Beka's Christian friend, Lori. Mark wants to spend more time with Beka behind her father's back.

Au835. The Leftovers Use Their Heads # 3 by Tristan Howard, paperback,

78 pages, Reading level 2.7. Catherine, Matt and Lucy expect soccer to be

Easy because they are stars of their baseball team. They are shocked to find

They really stink at soccer!

Au836. The Last Days of Eugene Meltsner an Adventures in Odyssey, book

By Marshal Younger, Paperback, 80 pages. A boy invents a machine that let's

kids ski down ant hills and ride through their blood streams. It lands him in

the middle of a bank robbery with a ticking bomb and he must decide how to

spend the final few days of his life. May be Christian Fiction A Focus on the

Family book.

Au837. Jim The Boy by Tony Earley, Hardback, about 220 pages,

Compassionate novel told in beautiful language about a young boy and his

family in a young America in a small town near the mountains.

Au838. Joel and the Great Merlini by Eloise Jarvis, winner of two Newberry

awards, hardback, 59 pages. When he's nine, Joel who's hobby is learning

and doing magic tricks, somehow conjures an overenthusiastic genie and

learns his own real magic is best.

Au839. Getting Dumped and Getting Over it by Cylin Busby, paperback, 135

pages, advice for teens who get dumped and assurance that they'll survive it.

Au840. Bionicle Challenge of the Hordika by Greg Farshtey, paperback,

128 pages, all text,for upperelementary kids based on characters of Leggo

building toys.

Au841. The Million Dollar Shot by Dan Gutman, paperback, 114 page, a

Couple of pages of literary circle questions and activities after the story.

Winner of the California Young Reader's Medal, /Eddie can solve his and his

mom's problems by sinking a foul shot during half time at an NBA game but

someone wants him to throw an air ball!

Au842. Islam Opposing Viewpoints Jennifer A. Hurley book editor, hardcover, 154 pages with Bibliographies etc at the end which aren't required if they are a problem to scan.