[bksvol-discuss] Re: Any Canon DR-2080C users out there?

  • From: "Kaitlyn Hill" <Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:22:20 -0700

Hello Robert,

I have this scanner and it is my first I have used for scanning books.

Yes it is 20 PPM in simplex mode or 10 in duplex. It will run at a page
every 6 seconds in duplex, I keep mine at 7 just to give the scanning heads
that extra second to stay cooler. It doesn't say to do that but like
anything, if you don't run it at 100 percent it is a little less wear and
tare.

It is only an ADF scanner so if the page won't fit then you can't scan it.
Things like book covers sometimes won't fit.

No it doesn't come with a SCSI card.

The only problem I have found with it that I need to find time to call
Kurzweil on is: When you first turn on the scanner it will not scan in
duplex mode. You have to run a page through in simplex and go in and change
it to duplex.

At 6 to 7 seconds a page duplex, K1000 running on a 3GB Dell 9100 laptop the
software can pretty much keep up with the scanner.

When cutting the bindings off books, I get them done at Office Depot for
$1.00, you should run your finger through all the pages to double check for
pages that might be stuck. Even though they do a great job on the cutting
sometimes the glue from the binding will be slightly further in from the
cut. Doing this keeps the pages scanning well and lets you remove any bits
of glue off the edge. The scanning heads are two very narrow strips at the
bottom of the scanner and it took me having someone look at the scanner to
be sure of where they were. Do check these heads often and wipe them with a
soft rag. If a bit of binding glue is on them it will make for a glitch in
every page that passes over them.

Besides that I have found the scanner to be easy to use and with watching
the above you can get some excellent scans out of it. If you have any other
questions feel free to write or give me a call at 503-358-3547.

Kaitlyn
Level III Practitioner
Reconnective healing and the Reconnection
Level 1 Reiki healing
Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the number of
moments that take your breath away:)