[bksvol-discuss] Re: Agenda for 8/14 volunteer meeting/conference call

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 18:51:30 -0500

Hi Madeline,

Yup, answers my question about what the current thinking is on the holds. My comment about the blog is a 'thinking out loud' comment, not a criticism, btw--it will definitely be a bigger conversation, much bigger.

One possibility on the emails within the blog, so that everyone can be reached but still retain their privacy, might be for Benetech to generate email addresses that are set to forward forward to a voluntee'rs 'real' email address using email forwarding. We use our personal web hosting server that way to generate anonymous emails for situations that need to keep a real email address private, and it's fast and easy to do. Another possibility is for volunteers to set up 'throwaway' gmail accounts just for this purpose, that forward to their real email address. There are lots of variations on both of those. Just a couple of ideas.

Judy s.

owns their own servers is to
On 8/9/2012 6:27 PM, Madeleine Linares wrote:

Hi Judy,

Our thought is that rather than limit the number of holds per person we would compromise by letting volunteers hold however many books they want (with an emphasis on sharing and branching out!) but removing any holds that haven't been checked out in one month's time.

As for the blog protecting contact information and emails, this is a bigger conversation. There was talk at the last meeting of people only giving first names and last initials as one way to help and only people comfortable giving their emails providing them. This is likely not going to make everyone happy and there may be much better solutions out there so I would love to hear more ideas!

Did that answer your questions?

Best,

Madeleine