[bksvol-discuss] Adult content and who should decide who reads what

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 23:35:39 -0800

 I lost the "reply" I was writing so I'll start anew.
Sorry, Roger, as a parent I must disagree with you. I think  parents should
have the right to decide what their children  read or see,  and not an
organization like Bookshare or the government, or any one or anything else.
We know the maturity level of our children, irrespective of their
chronological ages and what may or not disturb them;  I think it's
appropriate that bookshare require parental o.k. for their minor children
to read A.C. labeled books rather than that it make them  available to
them  and require parents to request removal of the blockage; as you point
out, otherwise parents may not know what their children are reading and the
effect the books are having upon them; parents are responsible for the
behaviour of their minor children a.