[biztech-discussion] Thoughts on Moving Forward

  • From: Al Weinrub <Allen.Weinrub@xxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:00:00 -0700

Dear Folks,

For the last couple weeks there has been a pretty lively discussion
about which offshoring issues the NWU might tackle and how to go about
doing that.

In the meantime, the spring 2004 special offshoring issue of the
American Writer should have reached you, with the Offshoring Maze on the
cover. The discussion on this list and the American Writer articles
suggest some work that would help in formulating an offshoring strategy
for the union. The current electoral season provides important incentive
to move forward.

1. Position Papers:

The discussion on this list has pointed to a few issues that list
members feel are important in convincing potential allies that
offshoring runs counter to some important national interests.

- Offshoring threatens personal privacy
- Offshoring uses public subsidies to undermine the livlihoods of
American workers
- Offshoring threatens vital national infrastructure systems

Bruce Hartford has suggested that such positions be researched and
written up as "white papers" and issue summaries for use in any
campaign. That seems like a very sensible suggestion.

2. Alliances:

Both on this discussion list and in the American Writer, reference has
been made to what other organizations and unions are doing on the
offshoring issue. This activity needs to be researched, and we have to
determine where the NWU has interests we can pursue in common with other
initiatives.

3. Legislation:

It will be important for us to know what legislation is in the pipeline
both locally, state-wide, and at the national level.

In dealing with a specific timetable for any of this work, we will need
to assess the resources we can bring to bear. I want you to know that
the National Executive Committee, at its meeting two weeks ago, asked
that I help organize the effort to propose a specific anti-offshoring
campaign for the union. The NEC also provided some limited staff
resources (Kenya Briggs will be working part-time with me) to help
spearhead that effort.

Our ability to do anything as a union depends more on the voluntary
labor we can devote to this issue than it does on staff assistance. So
as a concrete step, I will soon be asking members of this discussion
list if they would be able to help in the investigations required in
areas #1 (position/issue papers), #2 (what other organizations are
doing), or #3 (what legislation is in the pipeline).

In the meantime, it would be good to hear your response to Bruce's
specific proposal, to the articles in the American Writer special issue,
or to what I have just summarized above.

Al
(1st VP, NWU)
SF Bay Area