[birdky] window strikes

  • From: GarJn@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 20:45:08 EDT

We had many window strikes last year and have no feeders.  Toward the end of
the nesting season, we found a yellow-billed cuckoo dead next to a small
window.

This year I have placed little items on some windows, but have put up screens
on all windows which open. On the picture window, my husband wedged sticks of
wood between the brick on both sides of the window at the top and bottom. He
attached string to both the bottom and top pieces of wood. We had no problem
until one day I heard a thud and noticed that one of the sticks had broken and
our rig was on the ground. We fixed it immediately and have had no further
problems.

Think we found that information on the Internet or Cornell Lab of
Ornithology. Information said that the birds saw the reflection of trees in the
windows
and they were aiming for that.

I would do anything, no matter how unsightly, to avoid finding another
beautiful bird dead under our windows.

Also, we have had Loggerhead Shrikes nesting in our area. Have a neighbor
with a nest in her tree that she throws out because the bird is MESSY!

Judy Arnold
Western Shelby County, KY