[birdky] w. Henderson Co. 9/24

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:39:24 -0500

9/24 6:30 AM

w. Henderson Co. in order Horseshoe Road slough, 1574 slough, Powell's Lake/Grassy Pond Unit, 268 Slough, Pond Creek Marsh, Shorebird Unit.

the east part of 268 slough has dried up.
only water at Horseshoe Road is at SE end
water is being pumped into Hardy Slough impoundments
Shorebird Unit has too much water for most shorebirds

While watching the Coots at Pond Creek Marsh, they suddenly flushed. Then I saw a River Otter surface. He checked me out for about 1 minute then departed.
I last saw River Otters at Hardy Slough last spring. Before that at Hobe Sound in Florida.

At the 1574 slough one of the Lesser Yellowlegs at only one leg. He seemed to be doing fine. Hopping around on the one leg and feeding. Good balance.
I guess he was a Lesser Yellowleg. :-)

I hadn't had any Hummingbirds at my house since last weekend but then I saw a female Ruby-throat at Powells' Lake/Grassy Pond unit.

I saw only 2 Wood Ducks. But from the sound of shotguns you would have thought they were all over the place.

Last but not least. Robins are not around. Since Katrina I have seen only 3 in my neighbors yard on the 9th.

Highlights:

Pied-billed Grebe 1 at SBU
Great Egret 1 at 268s
Mallard group at HRs
Blue-winged Teal group near PL/GP
Wood Duck pair at PL/GP
Harrier 1 HRs
Sora 1 PL/GP
Am. Coot 2 at PCM
Wilson's Snipe 1 PCM
Greater Yellowlegs 3 1574s
Lesser Yellowlegs 5 1574s
Pectoral Sandpiper 268s
Least Sandpiper 1574s & 1 at PCM
Chimney Swift 5 at 1574s
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1 female PL/GP
Belted Kingfisher 1 PCM
Tree Swallows everywhere
Cliff Swallow on power line near PL/GP
Catbird PL/GP & PCM
Brown Thrasher PCM
Red-eyed Vireo PL/GP

Charlie
Henderson Co.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Visit the Kentucky Ornithological Society
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY