[birdky] swallows, 739 pond

  • From: "Lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:35:10 -0500

I saw a nice mixed flock of about 50 swallows this morning on my place. It
included 1 Purple Martin, 5 Cliff Swallows, 2 Bank Swallows and the rest either
Barn or Tree Swallows. Bank Swallow is the one I most often fail to see around
here. One Bobolink singing on a fence wire.
    739 pond is almost dry except for scattered puddles and a little pond size
area on the end where it drains into a sink hole. The last rain did not cause
any upwelling from the several holes that feed it, just a lot of direct run
off. All I saw there this morning were 6 Blue-winged Teals, 6 Pectoral
Sandpipers, 10 Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Solitary Sandpipers, plus numerous Savannah
Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds, Barn and Tree Swallows.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County