[birdky] shrew crossing the road

  • From: "Lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 06:58:20 -0600

Yesterday morning, just after setting off to market pulling a wagon load of
tobacco, I saw a tiny object crossing the road directly ahead. Hmm - awfully
steady motion for a windblown leaf. I looked out my side window as the truck
rolled slowly by just in time to see a shrew headed directly for the edge of
the pavement. I got a good enough glimpse of it to see that it was too linear
and pointy nosed to be a vole. It was definitely a shrew. I always wondered how
much of a barrier highways were to tiny mammals. Not insuperable I suppose.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County