[birdky] shorebirds at Honker Lake

  • From: Aviva Yasgur <vivyasgur76@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdKY Listserve <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:54:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

The water level in Honker Lake (in Land Between The Lakes, near the Nature
Station) has dropped low enough that there are a lot of shallow mudflats now,
and so it's a good place to see shorebirds!

Today there were 21 great egrets, 5 snowy egrets, 140 blue-winged teal, and 6
small shorebirds that I think were 3 greater yellowlegs and 3 lesser
yellowlegs.  (I'm not super experienced with sandpiper-like birds, so my ID
could be wrong on those.)

Another staff member saw a bald eagle there a few days ago too.

If you're looking to get out somewhere to look for shorebirds, it looks like
Honker Lake might be a good spot for a while.  There are several spots where
you can access different parts of the lake -- you can walk to the canoe dock
area (about 1/4-mile), you can drive to the dam, you can drive to the boat
launch area (also a good mudflat spot - but only open to cars until Oct. 31),
or you can walk the whole trail around the lake (about 5 miles).  Feel free to
stop in to the Nature Station for suggestions/directions.

Sincerely,

Aviva Yasgur
Woodlands Nature Station, Land Between The Lakes
Trigg/Lyon counties