[birdky] rpt: strange sight

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:15:37 -0500

01 April 2008,

This afternoon late, while working in the yard, I observed a bird that
looked somewhat swallow-like flying erratically over the pasture behind the
house.  (I was hoping for a Purple Martin female.)  The sun was out but low
and the bird simply appeared uniformly darkish brownish.  A smaller flapping
clearly exposed in the sunlight reminded me of a moth or butterfly, but was
bright brown in the sunlight.  The swallow-like bird turned dramatically and
raced towards the smaller-flapping-moth-butterfly-thing.

For a brief instant, the swallow-like bird hit the light.  In a split
second, I knew it was the neighborhood Cooper's Hawk.  I assume the brown
moth-flappy thing was a sparrow or finch.  In the blur of 2 flying brown
shapes, only the hawk was clearly seen to leave.  The finch was either taken
or enjoyed a very narrow escape.

Regardless, this was an incredible experience for me.  It made me glad I had
elected to do my yard work.

That concludes this report.

Despite the date, this is real and NOT April fools.

Mark Bennett
113 Iroquois Circle
Russellville, KY  42276

Logan County, Kentucky