[birdky] Re: red breasted nuthatch

  • From: Susanna <sfewduczer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:32:00 -0800 (PST)

I have a red breasted nuthatch that eats black oil sunflower seeds from my
feeder in my little sub-divided plot in the middle of town, population 9,000.

  It amuses me to see it land on the feeder even though the marauding squirrel
is also perched there.  Not at all like the other birds.

  Susanna
  Franklin, KY

Millie <kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          We live in St. Matthews in a subdivision and have never had a
nuthatch of any kind visit out feeders (nor do we see them any other time of
the year).  We do have the rest of the birds listed below, except no
red-bellied woodpecker. We also have juncos, red-winged blackbirds, doves, etc.
 We have a suet feeder out in addition to the other feeders. How can I attract
a nuthatch to my yard, or do they avoid congested areas and prefer the
countryside..... Millie Farmer