[birdky] Re: migrating fish?

  • From: "Millie" <kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Cnplaw@xxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:53:27 -0400

Could these be what my parents (long, long ago) called "skipjacks"?  We fished
the Ohio a lot when I was a kid, below the dam at Louisville. No, no one knew
about the fossil beds then, but that is exactly where we fished, putting in on
the Indiana side below the dam and motoring to one of the sluices where we
would "anchor" the boat and my father and I would actually walk over to the
wickets (then wooden, slipping on the moss all the way) and seine for minnows
to use as bait. Too bony to eat, so we threw them back.

I found this in a Google search, and although pertaining to Tennessee, this
MIGHT be what you are talking about.
http://www.tnwildside.org/stories.asp?Story=286   Follow link to site below

 http://www.seeinstripes.com/skipjack.htm

And   from http://www.flyfishohio.com/mckinley_shad.htm   The skipjack is
abundant on the Ohio River.  It migrates up the larger tributaries, but seldom
roams very far from the powerful, clear waters of the main river.  As a sport
fish, skipjack have a long history.  Dr. James Henshall, Cincinnati icon and
author of the Book of the Black Bass, wrote about this fine fish as early as
1888.  Milton Trautman wrote in The Fishes of Ohio; "The species was
universally known as the 'skipjack' because of its frequent leapings into the
air to capture the jumping minnows.  It readily took natural and artificial
baits, leaping spectacularly in the air and dashing about with great speed when
hooked.  When taken with the aid of a fly rod and light tackle it ranked among
the finest of Ohio game fishes."

Millie Farmer (sort of got carried away here, reminiscing)
St. Matthews, KY