[birdky] farewell to birdky from me

  • From: "Mark " <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 23:26:13 -0500

May 18, 2003:
=20
I have just composed my last transcript to The Kentucky Bird Line.  I
have been doing this for a little over 3 years and have worn out from
the duties of saving and reading every post, then combining and editing
them into a fairly concise summary of the reports for a certain period.
For the record, I have produced 182 updates requiring form 15 minutes to
1 and =BD hours to compose.  The average time to compose an update is
about 45 minutes.
=20
Every update composed by me has also been sent to =93BIRD CENTRAL=94, a =
list
serve of central US and Canada bird line transcripts with about 450
subscribers, where a few of the more interesting updates have been used
in =93From the Bird Lines Feature=94 in Wing It=94 by ABA.
=20
I have enjoyed the work and it has taught me a lot about Kentucky birds.
While I will miss it, it will mostly be a good miss and I am sure that I
will put the time to good use.
=20
Scott Marsh will begin taking my place beginning with the next update.
=20
If you would like to help Scott with the update, you can do the
following:
=20
*       Always include the date of the observation and location(s) in
your text with careful separation of the birds on each date and at each
location.
*       Always include numbers of noteworthy species in your text.
Using the term unspecified numbers always left me wanting more, even as
I wrote.
*       When writing a long post, try to include a separate summary list
of highlight birds with numbers.  There is nothing more difficult than
to read a long post covering 2 to 3 days of birding at multiple
locations with the species buried in the text.  Those are interested to
some readers, but they are murder for someone trying to write a summary
of bird observations in this format.
=20
It you have been reporting bird directly to me instead of posting to
BIRDKY, please replace my e-mail address for reporting rare bird with
Scott=92s (msmarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
=20
I wish the best of luck to Scott.
=20
PS:  Good luck pulling the data needed from the really long and
descriptive posts by Brainard and David.  For any one who does not know,
these guys no me well and will not take serious offense to this note.
=20
Mark Bennett
113 Iroquois Circle
Russellville, KY  42276