[birdky] bbs routes in south-central ky 2005

  • From: "Stephen J. Stedman" <sstedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:37:32 -0500

Yesterday I completed the last of my standard four
federal Breeding Bird Surveys (BSSs) in south-central
Kentucky.

Best bird on these four BBSs, by far for me, was a
Henslow's Sparrow at stop 32 of the Sulfur Lick
BBS yesterday.  I've been alert for this species
on this route the past 7 years that I have run it,
but to no avail.  However, yesterday I heard
and briefly saw a Henslow's during the BBS; it
was in Metcalfe County, where there is at least
one previous record by Brainard Palmer-Ball--
at a site that is probably only a mile from the
site where I found one yesterday.  It only took
me 15 years and 61 BBSs in Kentucky to record
this species.

Also had a Tree Swallow on the Sulfur Lick BBS,
as well as three Tree Swallows on the Sunnybrook
BBS (Wayne County) last week.  The Sulfur Lick
BBS is also good for Grasshopper Sparrows and
Dickcissels, producing 8 and 13 of these, respectively,
yesterday; those totals are about average or perhaps
a bit higher than average for those species on that
route.

Best birds on the Hegira BBS (Cumberland and
Monroe counties) in early June were 2 Cerulean
Warblers, one each at stops where I have recorded
Ceruleans in the past.

Had 14 species of warblers, a slightly low total,
on the Monticello BBS (Wayne and McCreary
counties) last Sunday, including one Cerulean
and quite a few Black-throated Greens.

On an additional BBS that I run for the Forest
Service, the Wolf Knob route in Whitley and
McCreary counties, I counted 25 Cerulean Warblers
June 6, a nice total that is quite an increase over last
year's total of 14, but still below the highest ever
total (32) I have had on that route since 1994.

On another additional BBS I run for the National
Park Service, the Kentucky BBS in the McCreary
County part of the Big South Fork National River
and Recreation Area, I registered a Chestnut-sided
Warbler last Friday; I've recorded this species on this
route during four of the years I have run it since 1994.
Besides these 6 KY BBSs, I also ran four federal
BBSs and three National Park Service BBSs in
Tennessee.  Best bird was a Sora on the Oliver
Springs BBS in Morgan County.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN