[birdky] bath county, Cave Run Lake area RPT

  • From: Evelyn Morgan <one4est@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird KY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:29:44 -0800 (PST)

I've been driving to the Red River Gorge this week.  Yesterday, was the day for
flocks...Many Robins in Bath Co on KY 211, Common Grackles numbered in the
100's, Redwing Blackbirds about 50, or so.   Over the hatchery turkey vultures
were kettling, about 60.  There was a float of ducks on the lake, looked like
mostly scaup with a few buffelhead.  3 interesting gebres, which I think were
western, larger size, white throat and dark below eye.  Still there today.
Yesterday saw ring billed gulls, did not see them today.

  Just to let everyone know, Fred Busroe is watching the eagle nest at Cave Run
and they are sitting on eggs.  Expected hatch date somewhere around March 24.
You can get a pretty good look at the nest from Twin Knobs campground beach.
You would have to walk in for now.   They will open up some time this month.  I
plan to stop by tomorrow to check it out.

  Evelyn Morgan
  Elliott County