[birdky] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

  • From: Lana Hays <lhays2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: KY Birdlist Birdlist <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:22:42 -0500

Thursday when I came home from school, I was pleased to see a Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker at the feeders.  The feeders/peanut log were pretty empty. I got a
little too anxious to feed this guy and he took off....never to revisit that
day.  I was afraid that he was a one day wonder.  However, this morning he
reappeared so I'm hoping he's around for awhile.  To reward him and my other
woodpeckers, I made a fresh batch of homemade suet and put some out.
Interesting that this is only the second time that I've had a sapsucker at my
house.  The last time was about 7 years ago.

This winter has been pretty dismal as far as birds go at the feeders.   We
didn't get yesterday's snow but the storm that hit a few weeks ago certainly
didn't bring many birds to the feeders.  I was out of school for 2 days and
kept them constantly filled.  In years past I would have been quite busy and
would have gone through maybe 20 lbs of bird seed.  This time.....very little.
 Interesting that I only got 1 White-crowned sparrow and no White-throated
sparrows.  Also....no Eastern Towhees or Fox Sparrows or house finches.   I did
have about 10 juncos but I was amazed at all the "no shows".  Guess I'll just
to have to rejoice with the Sapsucker.

Lana Hays
Walton, KY
www.lanahays.com