[birdky] Yard birds

  • From: Lana Hays <lhays2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: KY Birdlist Birdlist <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:20:51 -0500

We have about 10 inches of snow.....hard to tell with all the drifting. My list is very much like Brainards. I did get a Fox Sparrow today along with one White-throated and one White-crowned sparrow (they have been practically nonexistent this winter....only the second time they've been around). I also had 2 gorgeous male Purple Finches. This year is also my first year of not seeing a Towhee. There are plenty of Juncos (at least 10) and Northern Cardinals. I also have plenty of Titmice, Chickadees, and Nuthatches as well as Downy, Hairy, and Red-bellied Woodpeckers. Even the Pileated Woodpecker made an appearance during the last storm. There were also many Cowbirds.....I counted 10 easily along with plenty of Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Starlings. Considerably more "trash birds" than good birds. Another interesting note is that I've not seem "Mr. Cooper" all winter.....that's a first as well.

Lana Hays
www.lanahays.com