[birdky] Whooping Crane Viewing and Reporting

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:18:03 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to Dan for posting guidelines on viewing and reporting Whooping Cranes.
I am a financial supporter of Operation Migration and greatly appreciate the
effort being undertaken to reintroduce these magnificent birds.  However, I do
not believe that reporting locations on birdky poses a real threat to their
well-being.  I think the primary threat is from the public who are uninformed
about Whooping Cranes, not the readers of a bird reporting listserve.  These
are the folks who due to their interest are providing financial support for the
crane's reintroduction efforts.  I believe that we can help educate those who
are not aware of the risks of the cranes becoming accustomed to encounters with
humans.

The cranes in general are attracting a LOT of attention from the public due to
the fact that there are so many Sandhills visible in fields now, and many folks
are stopping to look at them.  One can sometimes drive to within 100 yards of
the birds when they are near a road, but they don't like being that close and
usually walk away, and they are not as approachable on foot.  I've talked to a
number of people the past few weeks when viewing cranes from the road and
suggested that they remain in their vehicles.  The Whooping Cranes associating
with Sandhills are learning to be wary of humans.  I would say that the young
Whooping Cranes that were approaching vehicles as if begging for food thought
the vehicles resembled their ultralight "mothers".

Of course all this refers to Whooping Cranes in the company of wary Sandhills.
Whooping Cranes not with Sandhills could be much more vulnerable to close human
encounters.  I do agree with all of the viewing guidelines that Dan has shared
and thank him again for his thoughts.  I realize the importance of keeping
these birds safe and will not report details of sightings in the future.

On a related note, I photographed the Whooping Crane in Warren County today and
it is the same bird I photographed in Barren County on 6 February.

David Roemer
Bowling Green