[birdky] Warren County and Ky/Barkley Dams

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:54:31 -0800 (PST)

Hunting pressure at McElroy Lake in Warren County
continues to be heavy, but a few ducks and geese
utilize the lake when the hunters are absent.  One of
the hunters reported a Snow Goose taken recently, and
up to 1000 ducks, mostly Mallards, worked the area for
a couple of days.

Numbers of Lapland Longspurs have increased, with the
ratio of longspurs/larks being significantly higher
than last week.  Warren County has also experienced a
tremendous influx of robins in the past week, with
several flocks numbering into the hundreds being
present in lawn/park situations feasting on the
earthworms brought out by the rain.  Cedar Waxwings
were observed on two occasions recently after a
notable absence.  The six Mute Swans which relocated
to Petros Pond due to hunting disturbance at McElroy
were still present as of this morning, Jan 6.
Chipping Sparrows are again overwintering and present
in my yard daily.  Other highlights from the past few
days follow.

Jan 1  w/ nephew Carter Hooks

Ross's Goose  Griffin Park/Warren

Red-tailed Hawk
adult intermediate-morph  calurus  McElroy Lake  video

Jan 3

Green-winged Teal  14 fly-over Woodburn area

Am Black Duck  12 McElroy

N Pintail  6 McElroy

N Shoveler  2 fly-over Woodburn area
            1 McElroy

Ring-billed Gull  300 McElroy

Cedar Waxwing  2  McElroy area

H Lark  300+  Woodburn

L Longspur  50+  Woodburn

Jan 4

Redhead  5  Petros Pond

Longspur  50+  Woodburn

Jan 6

Cedar Waxwing  fly-over single  Shaker Mill/Warren

I headed to Ky/Barkley Dams this afternoon needing a
gull fix.  The rain/snow and low-30s air temps (heat
distortion) rendered long-distance viewing impossible,
but a few nice birds were scratched out.

Canvasback  App. 100 Barkley Dam

Long-tailed Duck  adult male Barkley Dam

Bald Eagle 5 scattered

Herring Gull  App. 300 Barkley Dam  100+ Ky Dam

Bonaparte's Gull  100+ Ky Dam

Great Black-backed Gull  1st yr.  Ky Dam  photos

Thayer's Gull  2 adults  Barkley Dam

Lesser Black-backed Gull  adult  Barkley Dam

Rusty Blackbird  below Ky Dam

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky