[birdky] Warren County 4 June 2003

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:17:50 -0700 (PDT)

All that remains of Chaney Lake is a marshy pond
approximately 75 feet in diameter.  Several broods
each of Mallards and Wood Ducks are crammed into the
remaining water, as is an adult Pied-billed Grebe with
7 nearly grown juveniles.  I'm afraid this pond won't
last but a few more days.  Several Green Herons and a
handful of Great Blues were taking advantage of the
easy pickin's.

A flock of Purple Martins was busy feeding over the
pond, and one of the females was partially albino.
Her 2 left outer-tail feathers were pure white, as
were her tertials and many of her back feathers.  I
don't remember seeing an albinistic Purple Martin, and
she is a really cool looking bird.

A few migrant shorebirds linger in the area, with 13
Semipalmated and 7 White-rumped Sandpipers at Petros
Pond along Hwy 68-80.

Meng's Pond hosted 3 White-rumps and a single
SemiSand.  An adult Great Egret in worn alternate
plumage was present also, and probably represents the
beginning of post-breeding dispersal.

Up to 4 Eurasian Collared Doves were exhibiting
territorial behavior at the 68/242 crossroads area at
Richpond.  The male of one pair is somewhat unusual in
that it is overall paler than most collared doves, and
lacks the contrast in the wings that is typical,
calling to mind a turtle dove.  Some of the wing
coverts along the wrist and the 2 or 3 inner-most
primaries  in at least one wing are typical.  The
underside of the tail is also typical for collared
dove as was the bird's song.  Not being familiar
enough with juvs, I'm not sure if this represents a
form of leucism, or retained juvenile plumage.  I did
obtain photos, and it will be something to research.

On June 1,  Chaney hosted 4 Semipalmated Plovers in
addition to the above mentioned birds.  Present at
Meng's Pond were 3 SemiSands and a Spotted Sandpiper,
and 2 SemiPlovers were present at Petros Pond.

I had a report today from a gentleman in Russell
County of a recently fledged brood of bluebirds
containing 2 pure albinos, complete with pink eyes.
One of the juvs didn't survive, but the other is
beeing seen regularly.  Anyone interested in seeing
this bird may contact me and I will forward pertinent
information.

Dave