[birdky] Warren County

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

I spent some time today at McElroy following Tom's
footsteps in the mud.  The lake has been up for less
than two days, and already an amazing number of birds
was present, attesting to the attractiveness of the
area when holding water.  In addition to the species
reported by Tom, I also recorded the following:

Pied-billed Grebe
American Bittern
Green-winged Teal
Northern Pintail
Northern Harrier (3)
Dunlin (2)
Stilt Sandpiper (11+)
Wilson's Snipe
Vesper Sparrow
American Pipit (50+)

The flock of 24+ basic plumaged dowitchers was moving
around, and I heard several of them call Long-billed.

Present at Chaney Lake were two Marsh Wrens, a Sora,
and two Lincoln's Sparrows.

A nice flock of migrants was busy feeding along Drakes
Creek behind my house this evening, with the most
notable being my first ever fall Blackpoll for Warren
County.  The bird fed at eye level for over five
minutes, and at a distance of only 8-15 feet, for the
best study one could imagine.  It was the highlight of
the day.

Other nice birds included Orange-crowned, Magnolia,
Chestnut-sided, Tennessee, Palm, and Myrtle Warblers,
as well as Common Yellowthroat.  A Wood Pewee, both
kinglets, and many White-throated Sparrows were also
present, with the sparrows being new arrivals.

Two hummers were still present at the feeders.

I had an experience on October 8th at McElroy that I
would like to share.  The only water present was in
the ditch and around a couple of springs, but I
decided to walk the grassy lane at the southern end of
the field and check a patch of Johnson Grass for
sparrows, rails, etc. A flock of meadowlarks was
feeding along the lane, and they were flushing as I
passed, and flying a short distance into the adjacent
field. I spent a few minutes looking through them for
a Western.

While I was standing there glassing the meadowlarks, I
suddenly heard a loud wind noise VERY close by.  I
mean a loud FFFFEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! An adult
Peregrine Falcon streaked by me just above the ground
in pursuit of the meadowlarks.  After some
razzle-dazzle by the larks, and some ziggidy-zaggidy
by the falcon, the chase was over.  The falcon had
missed this time, and thermalled up and streamed off
to the south.  I have spent many hours watching
Peregrines hunt, but this is the first time I have
been close enough to a bird in a dive to hear the wind
rushing through its feathers.  It was totally awesome,
the ultimate Wind Bird!  I then realized that this was
the last sound that many birds get to hear.

Dave